Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK

He knew his life was in danger, but he also knew the danger in lives around him. He knew that his presence would come to an end, but his message would forever live on. His spirit could not be killed, even if his body was. His spirit would remain, forever, in the heart of America. His spirit would pulse throughout those brave enough to hope, those brave enough to dream. This is the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr. This is the spirit that our nation, today, is still thriving on. This is the spirit of a man made of courage. This is the spirit of a man made of strength, this is the spirit of a man who's only fear was not being heard.

His message was that all men are created equal, despite race, despite socioeconomic backround. He preached that we are given equal rights to success, that we are all entitled to equal opportunities. This message was spoken in times of great uproar. But society's discord wasn't enough to stop Mr. King from speaking, from spilling his heart. He marched through violence, he marched through hatred, hoping to put an end to this world's evil; hoping to put an end to this world's judgement.

I still see it today. I still see people exchange glances at different races, different beliefs, even different clothing styles. I'm guilty of it myself. Why must we place so much importance on such a minor quality, appearance? Why do we continuously value someone's look, rather than their actions? What good does it do us in the long run? Why are we too blind to see the true inner beauty of people? Why, today, do we still allow our outerselves to rule us?

I'm unable to provide an answer applicapable to society as a whole, however, I can share my insight in regards to my prejiduce views. I look at people before I speak to them. I see their hair, I see their clothes. I feel that these things provide an idea of what's inside. But they really don't. Judging someone by physical appearance is just as bad as judging someone by their racial backround. You all do it. You look at the gothic kid and snicker. You think he'll go home at night to slit his wrists. You look at the fat girl and picture her eating twinkies. You see the jock going to a keg party, and the pretty girl losing her virginity to him. These are all just people though. I have no right, WE have no right to guess what they think, to guess what they're feeling. But this practice, this judging is so ingrained in us. We must break it. It can't be done all at once, but it is achievable.

Martin Luther King Jr. did not take all those risks, he didn't give all that effort so we could live today, still judging others. Just for today, try to see past someone. Try to find their innervoice, their innerbeauty. Just try to look past those things that only our eyes can see. Dig deeper, push yourself past this. I just wish that our looks didn't matter. Slowly, but surely, I do believe that we can diminish their importance. Please, let's all try to live MLK's dream. Let us all be free at last.

No comments: